AW: [governance] Agenda for IGF Nairobi - IGC proposals

"Kleinwächter, Wolfgang" wolfgang.kleinwaechter at medienkomm.uni-halle.de
Tue Jan 18 03:49:25 EST 2011

Hi

good issue and worth to investigate deeper. Isn`t it also part of the "fragmentation" debate.

In the 1990s, the risk for fragementation came with the alternative roots. This was rejected both by the market and also by ICANN in its famous Policy Paper "ICP-3: A Unique, Authoritative Root for the DNS", in:  http://www.icann.org/en/icp/icp-3.htm

Later the risk for fragmentation came with the iDNs when China started a test in 2002 with an own root server system with TLDs with Chinese characters. Thanks to the fast track on iDN ccTLDs this was avoided and now TLD Zone Files with Chinese, Cyrillic and other Non-ASCII charatcers are in the "authoritative root".

Is W2 at NN-debate now the third wave of the fragmentation discussion? Do will have different rules (including rules for numbering?) for fixed and mobile Internet?`

Good subject for an IGF workshop. And a good issue also for forming new coalitions :-)))

Wolfgang