[governance] Tunisia

Fouad Bajwa fouadbajwa at gmail.com
Sun Jan 16 11:22:46 EST 2011

Dear Khaled,

It is definitely a start and destiny will pave its way to a more open
and inclusive democracy in Tunisia. As I read the news and my mind
wanders through those streets where the revolution has emerged where
once I had the chance to visit and explore the region, I feel the
struggle for change.

I am very intrigued by the way social media played a major role in
helping the youth of the country to go about stimulating this change.
It is true that the Internet can spur change both at the personal and
community level carrying an impact that breaks traditional norms and
perceptions about what technology can spur.

I would like to join other colleagues in acknowledging that attempts
of locking, filtering and censoring the Internet is a concept of the
past but there will still be attempts and barriers will breakdown as
we have witnessed in the case of Tunisia.

To the children of Tunisia, I join everyone to the forthcoming era of
freedom, democracy and prosperity and yes both hope and optimism will
lead Tunisians towards a better and more open future. Tunisians have
shown the world that both great and positive change can be brought
forth with the help of the Internet. The Internet is itself a medium
but what happens at its ends is now defining human events!

-- Best Regards

Fouad Bajwa

     governance at lists.cpsr.org