[governance] Agenda for IGF Nairobi - IGC proposals

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Fri Jan 14 05:20:55 EST 2011

Hi Jeremy

I think we should two separate threads for the next IGF's agenda, which
hopefully will be taken up in the Feb MAG meeting, and for our inputs
into the WG on IGF improvements. Both are very distinct issues and
separately quite important . So excuse me to have this thread on 'agenda
for IGF Nairobi'.

I am particularly eager to get this discussion going, because I feel
that IGC should be doing much more on substantive issues, and its almost
singular focus on process issues is what has kept it insulated from much
of the civil society outside the IG realm, which compromises its
legitimacy.

In middle of the hot discussions on composition of the WG on IGF
improvements, Sala posted an email on the (globally) historic FCC
decision on network neutrality. While there are some good points there,
there has been a sellout on excluding mobile Internet from regulations
disallowing pay-for-priority. (To read this in the context of my earielr
emails pointing to how mobile Internet in India is already breaching NN
boundaries.)

This FC decision has the potential of splitting up the Internet into the
open fixed line variety and corporate content dominated mobile Internet.
Why should there be two kinds of Internet? Why do freedoms and rights
count on one kind and are not so important on the mobile Internet? What
does this mean for developing countries where mobile is slated to become
the by far the dominant platform for Internet?

I also consider it very significant that it is perhaps the first time
ever in any substantial policy matter of such huge consequence that the
policy framework was largely written up as a result of negotiations
between two largest corporate players in the area - google and verizon -
and then the government rubber stamped it. If this the new global
governance model we are moving towards? I keep getting this picture in
my mind of our health policy frameworks soon being written by drug
companies and health insurance companies, and maybe the large private
hospital chains, if they are big enough, before plaint governments
rubber stamp it. That is exactly what happened in the present instance
vis a vis the new communication infrastructure of the Internet that came
with such egalitarian promises.

Anyway back to the topic,

The next IGF just must take up 'Network Neutrality' or in fact ' Mobile
Network Neutrality' as its key plenary theme. Otherwise IGF and the real
world IG would be two very different worlds.

It should also continue with the plenary topic - 'development agenda for IG'

And I propose a third topic

'Cross border Issues and implications of IG'

CoE is discussing it, no reason why IGF should not.

Parminder

--
PK