[governance] New membership database: choose your own username

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Wed Jan 5 16:53:44 EST 2011

Hi,

Just for a point of confirmation, I had always assume that membership had to be confirmed annually by voting.  Kind of like paying due annually to be a members of other some other membership groups.

the charter is explicit on this:

> The membership requirements for amending the charter are based on the most currently available voters list. In amending the charter, everyone who voted in the previous election will be deemed a member for amending the charter.

That is part of the reason for why elections should have a non of the above category, so someone can take the act of voting without needing to actually pick someone.  But this is not included in the charter and maybe it should be, though introducing it as a practice would not be contrary to anything i the charter.  I personally think all elections should have a 'non of the above' category.

In any case, I think including people as members who did not vote in the last election is a change that is not substantiated by the charter.

a.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org