[governance] New membership database: choose your own username

Ian Peter ian.peter at ianpeter.com
Wed Jan 5 16:20:16 EST 2011

Shaila raises some of the more interesting questions  around membership ­
and the most interesting of all if how anyone ceases to be a member. Quite
an important question, because charter amendments require a positive vote of
two thirds of ³members². - not just two thirds of participants in the vote.
Members certainly should include people who were members but didn¹t vote in
last elections, as Shaila points out. But members could then be construed to
include people who havent participated for years, because there is no way to
cease being a member even if you die currently.

These sorts of problems cant be solved technologically. Nor can the
administrative issues which surround a list which serves a dual purpose of
an open mailing list to discuss internet governance issues and also a forum
for decision making by the subset of mailing list members who would define
themselves as IGC members.

So it¹s not easy. However, I personally think that the series of technology
changes Jeremy had led over the last year or so have been great enhancements
which have made us more efficient. Its great to be able to vote on accepting
a position statement without flooding the mailing list with a hundred or so
YES messages ­ and its good to have surveys, wikis and other tools to help
us develop positions and discuss them. So, on the whole, I think the changes
which have been introduced have been well worthwhile, and it is great to
have a co ordinator such as Jeremy with the requisite technical skills to
advance our use of on line tools. None of our recent co ordinators have had
these skills, so Jeremy is making a great contriubution.

This has been improved and enhanced by the input of others on this list ­
the recent changes did need some tweaking, and may need more to meet all
needs.

But the concept is good IMHO, even if unable to solve all our problems.

Ian Peter