[governance] New membership database: choose your own username

Don Cameron dg_cameron at bigpond.com
Wed Jan 5 06:23:03 EST 2011

> Also I overlooked that many Internet old timers would prefer to maintain
the ability to subscribe by email (unsubscribing by email had not been
affected).  That change has since been reversed.

Thanks Jeremy,

I feel somewhat elevated in status... from a lurker to an Internet Old Timer
- might be worth mentioning my children also tend to sub to lists via
list-serv commands, although this is possibly my influence on them J

As with others I agree up to a point with the underlying premise of
simplifying list and web subscriptions providing it doesn't come at the
expense of access and/or simplicity (to either) - the point raised by Norbet
is salient not only for Cambodia, it also applies to the millions who
interact online with PDA's and mobiles where email is a much simpler medium
to use than trying to access a web site on a 2" screen. Unfortunately the
promoted/implemented changes do read like a fait accompli given the depths
of concern expressed by a number of people.

Pardon my ignorance - but I do not understand who authorised these changes -
isn't the decision-making process of this group one of lazy consensus ala
the FOSS/Apache model where changes are discussed prior to implementation?
Are all the changes now reversed? It would be great if we could rewind and
discuss the need and options - I'm sure there is an abundance of list
management expertise on here.

Don

     governance at lists.cpsr.org