[governance] New membership database: choose your own username

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Mon Jan 3 23:27:13 EST 2011

On 04/01/2011, at 12:15 PM, Lee W McKnight wrote:

> List subscribers who self-identify as members of civil society are eligible to vote if they've been on the list a  couple months; list members who joined more recently have to wait for the next go-round; list members who do not self-identify as cs are ineligible.  Right?  We need not call them 'lurkers,' if such folks want to speak up we can listen right.

Right.  Some people (eg. members of the IGF secretariat and the ICC) are on the list and deliberately never participate in voting or list discussion.  It was they whom I had in mind as lurkers (but without meaning any derogatory connotation by that).

> Otherwise, just focusing on cleaning up duplicate and defunct email addresses is the main thing right; building out a more comprehensive database on list members is...maybe... a good thing but I'm note sure it is a top priority given plenty of other things to do.  My 2 cents, and I am definitely not volunteering to join you on your charter amendment committee.

Also because people had asked for improvements to the Web site, and I didn't want to have yet another category of people who are signed up on the Web site but not on the mailing list... it would be just too messy and confusing for words.

--
Jeremy Malcolm
Project Coordinator

Empowering Tomorrow’s Consumers
CI World Congress, 3-6 May 2011, Hong Kong
Businesses, governments and civil society are invited to join consumer groups from around the world
for four days of debate and discussion on the issues that matter most to consumers. Register now!
http://www.consumersinternational.org/congress
Twitter #CICongress

Read our email confidentiality notice. Don't print this email unless necessary.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org