[governance] MAG meeting

Adam Peake ajp at glocom.ac.jp
Fri Feb 25 18:16:41 EST 2011

>In message <CAADCFAC-1DB4-4BE4-83FE-8268C24450E4 at acm.org>, at
>20:59:20 on Fri, 25 Feb 2011, Avri Doria <avri at acm.org> writes
>>
>>On 25 Feb 2011, at 20:42, Roland Perry wrote:
>>
>>>In message <p0624081fc98d21dbe476@[10.58.179.68]>, at 02:16:55 on
>>>Sat, 26 Feb 2011, Adam Peake <ajp at glocom.ac.jp> writes

>>>This is one thing that puzzles me. MAG rotation is supposed to be
>>>one of the topics that the MAG recomends[1]. But there have been
>>>several occasions (this week was one) where the topic seemed
>>>taboo. And the final impression was that it was entirely the gift
>>>of the UN.
>>
>>In the past this was up to the MAG.  And with the exception of a
>>few people, most chose not to step down voluntarily.    There was a
>>discussion of rotation most every year, and some MAG members were
>>replaced every year.  I have actually never seen a graph of how
>>many, in total and per group, rotated each year, so I don't know
>>what the facts of rotation are.
>
>It's disappointing that there's apparently no official record of
>this, but I have my own chart - which I referred to a few days ago.
>It reveals almost no rotation in 2008, and a new influx of about 20
>in 2009 who join 16 people appointed in 2006 and 18 from 2007.

I think there was a goal of one third per rotation.

There's probably some record in the MAG list or record of a consultation.

Pretty sure it was about one third each year as that would have meant
by the end of the five year mandate the full MAG would have swapped
out.  It's a pretty sustainable refresh rate.

Adam

     governance at lists.cpsr.org