[governance] A workable, gTLDs process, now

Thomas Lowenhaupt toml at communisphere.com
Thu Feb 24 11:28:04 EST 2011

Roland,

Great that you bring up the example of Cambridge as it provides the
opportunity for me to mention the April 8 presentation I'm making at the
Planning Tech Conference in Cambridge (US) entitled "City-TLDs as Urban
Infrastructure" - http://web.mit.edu/rgoodspe/www/planningtech/. It
provides the opportunity for me to imagine the question being thrown at
me and to here begin to prepare my response:

First. Is this a situation where every conceivable instance must be
resolved before moving forward? I see too many opportunities wasted by
awaiting final answers to every conceivable problem. The complexity of
cities (big cities with say a million or more people, and there are less
than 500 of these) require a TLD to address the breadth of issues they
face. If cities are the hope for a sustainable planet (or anything
remotely near that), why are we putting them on the same plane with
.shop?  How damaging is it that we can't find and talk to one another is
cities? What's the cost in quality-of-life that our decision making
processes don't have access to the full realm of Internet resources,
resulting in a digital diaspora?

Second. So Paris, Texas is in contention with Paris? No way. One is
Paris, Texas and the other is Paris.

Third. Where there are no clear "winners" one might hope that a "play
nice or you can't play" reminder would suffice. And I think a U/X
designer could come up with a reasonable framework in about 10 minutes -
e.g., blue borders are UK Cambridge sites, green border are US Cambridge.

Best,

Tom Lowenhaupt