[governance] MAG meeting

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Thu Feb 24 07:02:56 EST 2011

Adam Peake <ajp at glocom.ac.jp> wrote:

> Parminder, there is no chair, how can there be chair's advisors?

If I were appointed tomorrow to chair the MAG (which isn't going to
happen -- so I am absolutely free to speak about this quite frankly)
I would be extremely upset that today the "chair's advisors" have been
dismissed or otherwise rendered voiceless, and thereby rendered much
less willing and able to perform their role of chair's advisors in
helping me to get up to speed in my new responsibility. I would
strongly desire the freedom to make my own choices of advisors before
long, but for the initial phase of getting starting, I would
definitely want for the old chair's advisors to be still around and
willing to advise.

So in my view, the logic that in the absence of a chairperson, there
can be no "chair's advisors", is totally flawed -- quite independently
of the political effect that this line of thinking has in the current
situation.

Greetings,
Norbert
     governance at lists.cpsr.org