[governance] A workable, gTLDs process, now

Avri Doria avri at acm.org
Thu Feb 24 01:16:44 EST 2011

H Edmon,

As you know I very much support the introduction of IDN gGTLDs and was pushing for them to come out at the same time as the IDN ccTLDS, until we lost that battle.  And I know that for the most part gTLDs and ccTLDs  are different - though if you look as some ccTLDs you would be hard pressed to find that difference (clue: its that gTLDs  have at least some regulation).

I have just not found a convincing reason why IDN gTLDS should go first to the detriment of other gTLDS.  And anything that goes first, does push back everything else.

As for cost-benefit analysis of introducing new gTDLs, I look more for social utility of the new gTLDs and the plans people have for them in terms of building community, than I look at how much money someone somewhere may make and someone somewhere else will lose.  And yes, I realize that for many, new gTDS is all about money.  Perhaps I should be favoring that those with community support should come first, but then in true ICANN tradition that would be played and there is always the problem that one person's social utility is another person's silliness or worse.

But I will admit, my characterization of _everyone_ who supports prioritization of one type of gTLD over others as someone in a race pushing everyone else out of their way was a bit of a generalization and somewhat rude.   And I apologize to you for that.

a.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org