[governance] Last Crack Progress xTLDs.

JFC Morfin jefsey at jefsey.com
Wed Feb 23 19:40:36 EST 2011

At 15:04 23/02/2011, Kleinwächter, Wolfgang wrote:
>After reading ICANNs recent announcement of a new timetable for the
>introduction of new gTLDs
>I propose to consider the estabishment of a "Working Group on the
>Improvement of the Postponement of new gTLD Introduction
>(WKIPngTLDI). The new Working Group could get a mandate for five
>years with the option of renewal. The group could have two
>sub-working groups on "fast postponement" and "slow postponement".
>The two sub-working groups should create an interim Ad Hoc Committee
>for the establishmnet of an "Interagency Dialog on Interim
>Objections and Themes (IDIOT). Volunteers are welcome to apply for
>the position of an Excecutive Secretary of IDIOT.

On behalf of the Initiative for the Deployment of the Internet
Operations by Connecting Yourself (IDIOCY) I whish to announce a
response to this ICANN IDIOT project through "the Last Crack
Progress". LCP consists in an Internet Community Project to
experiment a few hundred xTLDs (experimental TLDs) fully respecting
ICANN ICP-3 rules. Our initial plan was to wait for the introduction
of the new ICANN gTLDs, in order to avoid possible naming conflicts.
Due to this IDIOT postponement indetermination, we cannot wait
anymore. We will therefore consider using ".icann", ".idiot",
".idiocy", "gac", "ccnso" as probably not planned gTLDs that we can
use as xTLDs for experimentation purposes in line with IAB recent RFC
6055 on IDN encoding by John Klensin, Microsoft and Apple.

The IAB is concerned by the use of Non-DNS protocols. Last Crack is
to particularly experiment:
- the ML-DNS I documented here several times already
- the ICANNS (Indefinite caching accreditation for new names system)
that works on a CTL (Centuries to live) basis.

What actually concerns me is that the whole ICANN gTLD rigmarole
(sorry Avri) is totally outside the world digital ecosystem reality,
as even some at the IETF progressively start accepting it. My worry
is not about ICANN the NewGAG (new gTLD application Guidebook) will
most probably kill, but the USG driven replacement, because they will
come with real authority in an area they totally ignore and will badly blunder.

A very good point was recently made by John Klensin and Vint Cerf,
IDNA2008 and many other things are not table dependent but technical
rule dependent. Setting TLD protected tables as the USG plans
discussing is technically meaningless. What need to be digested,
accepted, worked on and decided upon are "meta-tables", a dynamic
underlaying semantic based function set that will have to be built in
the protocols to accept or protect or do whatsoever with TM names,
logos, etc.  We are very far from that  (we still are unable to curb
the spam and only a few have identified the retro-meta-spam [what you
imply in terms of metadata when you respond/access a document, ex. if
you respond a French mail, the coming back langtag tells that you
speak French]). Before we can technically protect what the USG people
wants to discuss with ICANN, there will be a lot of time. And during
all this time the USG will look fool and will lose credibility.

If ICANN and GAC lose credibility, who will replace them? Vint Cerf
and Google for identification naming, people for designating and
denominative naming. Are we ready for that?
I do not know. We will see that in a few weeks.
jfc

     governance at lists.cpsr.org