[governance] Provisional suggestion – on the structure of IGF (meeting)

Deirdre Williams williams.deirdre at gmail.com
Wed Feb 23 05:41:14 EST 2011

The way things seem to work these days you might draw more attention
by using a different medium - not a paper but perhaps a short film,
even if the film presents a sequence of interviews.
There seems to be a popular preference to watch and listen rather than
to read. The BBC's Jonathan Charles has attended several IGFs; could
he or someone like him not be co-opted to help persuade the "big
media" to put their money (ie their expertise) where their mouth is?
Deirdre

On 23 February 2011 06:17, Izumi AIZU <iza at anr.org> wrote:
> Here is another comment I plan to make later on the structure.
>
> izumi
> ---
>
> Some of CS members feel that IGF should not be an annual event ending
> at the last day of its meeting – but rather a continuum process – and
> we like to see some innovation in this regard.
> We also have some thinking that IGF should become more outcome
> oriented, in preserving its basic nature of forum on policy dialogue,
> not policy making per se.
>
> So what if we make good connection between workshops and main themes,
> there are many good ideas for these we can see. But also how about
> appointing or soliciting Working Groups who are perhaps selected or
> endorsed by MAG, with open slots of volunteers, who will work AFTER
> the IGF to produce outcome paper/document, say in 10 pages, on each of
> major themes, to digest the discussions taken place during IGF
> meetings, present major points of agreements, as well as divergent
> views, and make suggestions where appropriate and where some kind of
> consensus is recognized. There will be open comment period on the
> draft Report, may have one more “wrap-up” meeting say 2 months after
> IGF meeting.
>     http://www.igcaucus.org/

“The fundamental cure for poverty is not money but knowledge" Sir
William Arthur Lewis, Nobel Prize Economics, 1979
     governance at lists.cpsr.org