[governance] Your support for a petition

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sun Feb 20 04:25:47 EST 2011

On Saturday 19 February 2011 08:25 PM, Avri Doria wrote:
> In general I see most countries in their role as handmaidens of business and other powerful elites with a patina of public choice when it is not inconvenient to the elites.

If your problem is that governments are mostly handmaidens of big
business (and other elite) then the only way out is to keep seeking
improvements in governments, by trying to make them more and more
democratic (surely, some government forms are more democratic than
others) as may be happening in the Arab world at present. Grearter
involvement of civil society and community based organizations is one of
the important ways of improving democracy.

In any case, the problem of business/ elite domination can hardly be
solved by going toward governance forms where big business is even more
legitimately and formally a part of governance structures. And that is
what multistakeholderism in IG is largely turning out to be.

>   I see big businesses as conglomerates of people wanting to be rich

No, 'big business' are people already very rich, and having resources
and means to manipulate everything and everyone for seeking ever greater
power, unless there is some political check on them. More and more, 'big
business' is not even people, it is just fast moving blind capital, much
more so in a network society. There is no way to correct/ improve the
wrongful acts or inclinations of big business other than through proper
political checks.

Therefore, the solution to both, the wrong kind of governments and the
wrong kind of business practices, is more democratic governance, not a
return to feudal systems where existing power (then of rank, and now of
money) itself secures seats in the political system.

> and being motivated by profit more than principle, though often they hold a principle (one i do not hold) that increase in profit is an increase in good.  There are exceptions and variations in both generalities, since for the most part generalities are always partially false while being partially true. Yes, I know that is a generality.
>
> In terms of their roles, I see them as equal stakeholders

My problem with multistakeholderism (MSism) begins when it is raised to
this level. I can never see governments and big business are 'equal
stakeholder'. That  for me is the death of democracy. i can accept MSism
as a subservient part of democracy (which is the way the term was always
used till I heard new formulations in the global IG discourse), but not
as overriding democracy.

parminder

--
PK