[governance] Your support for a petition

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Fri Feb 18 00:36:20 EST 2011

Milton/ Norbert

Excuse my ignorance about complicated ICANN issues. I am still only
trying to understand the issue but...

Do you think an objection that needs to be supported by *a full
consensus in the GAC* is really 'putting GAC in charge of domain name
policy.How easy is it to get a consensus among all governments. In fact
pursuant to any such consensus it is at present 'legal' to militarily
raid and takeover any country. But that really doesn't happen that
often, right.

Moreover, how does it compare with the present practice where any
adjudication regarding 'public interest' issues involved in domain name
policy is done by a body of the International Chambers of Commerce.
Interestingly, this body of ICC - the ICC International Centre of
Expertise - on its website claims expertise in 'every conceivable
subject relevant to business operations'. Business operations?? Public
interest ?? Am I missing something here.

Furthermore, any vote of any country (say, the US)in the GAC on a public
interest issue,  since its implication will also be produced within that
country, should be able to be challenged in the national courts vis a
vis its compliance to constitutional and subordinate law.

As you would have surmised, I am not too enamored of global political
power being exercised by big business, and between that and legitimate
political systems, will prefer to work with the latter, and seek reforms
to them.

And, Milton, if a legitimate transnational political system has to be
sought, placing big business in a central position is hardly the right
way to go about it. It is best sought as an evolution from existing
representative systems.

Parminder

--
PK