[governance] RE: below the societal usage layer

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sat Feb 12 01:49:01 EST 2011

On Monday 07 February 2011 10:23 PM, Lee W McKnight wrote:

> Anyway, this may all be premature for IGC, but I just wanted to get an early word - and a picture - out to illustrate where we are going, and what we will be defining more precisely in hopefully human-readable documents by next fall, with first draft open specs released about a year from now. If anyone or anything wants to join the virtual club of WiGiT - for now just send me an email, we'll be adding self-service buttons to the website soon.  Admission is of course free, as will be explained on our site http://wglab.net, when my students get around to it. Many of whom are from India, and doing very cool things - happy now Parminder? : )
>
> Lee

I completely trust you Lee :). But yes I do believe in keeping a
suspicious eye on any place of concentration of power, whether that be
OECD or G20 (which includes India). More so when a group of actors or a
set of institutions seem to be falling into the habit of deciding policy
issues knowing very well that such  policies are expected, often
designed, to impact people and groups outside the political spaces from
where these actors/ institutions derive legitimacy, without
democratically including them in the decisions. This only means that I
believe in democracy, which it appears is living out a tenuous existence
in the new brave digital world. Tahrir squares are not only needed in
Middle East, there are many more places where power is blatantly
usurped. In fact, when dominant power hides behind complicated 'systems'
and networks, it may be even more  difficult to come up with the right
strategies to counter it than when there are obvious symbols of such
domination and usurpation (Mubarak, for instance).

Just to leave you with a 'democracy thought of the day' :) on a day when
democracy made a giant leap, in, and perhaps through, Egypt.

Parminder

> '

PK