[governance] FW: [] Fwd: IPv4 Address Exhaustion Milestone & Comcast Starts DOCSIS IPv6 Trial

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Mon Feb 7 03:58:53 EST 2011

In message <BD8FA7BA-9679-4A35-85E7-22BB2F4E7F56 at corp.arin.net>, at
02:15:51 on Mon, 7 Feb 2011, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> writes

>> I tend to think of IPv6 as being a separate internet that happens to share physical wiring.
>
>I've actually taken to describing it in terms of power outlets; we've effectively
>set forth on switching the entire Internet to use new plugs and outlets, and for a
>short time you're going to have to build houses (websites) with both types of outlets
>(address formats), so that users of either plug type (IPv4 or IPv6) can be happy.

Some of the original power to homes was DC, so introducing AC was not
just a change of socket, but a change of appliance (or buy one that was
AC/DC compatible).

A useful "travel adapter" would be a CPE that connects to the outside
world by IPv6, but supports both IPv6 and IPv4 inside the premises -
with whatever functionality is required to deliver a useful-enough
experience but without having to issue a public IPv4 address to each
premises.

No doubt there will be cries of anguish about the "end to end" issue,
but I'm not sure it would be worse than the current IPV4 NAT-box
situation.
--
Roland Perry
     governance at lists.cpsr.org