[governance] Sad History of IPv6 (was: IPv4 Address Exhaustion Milestone & Comcast Starts DOCSIS IPv6 Trial)

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Mon Feb 7 03:59:01 EST 2011

In message <866E2A33-7BBD-4657-AFFB-B4318F5471A8 at corp.arin.net>, at
02:15:40 on Mon, 7 Feb 2011, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> writes

>Most of us will continue to use IPv4, but you'd be amazed at how fast
>the broadband service providers are going to IPv6 because its their
>only option.  To the point, if you do not bother to dual-home your
> web site IPv4 and IPv6, do not be surprised if some of the newer
> folks have performance issued reaching it.

I don't want to raise any false hopes, but with 20%+ of traffic hitting
probably just five sites (YouTube/Google, Facebook, Microsoft, Yahoo and
whichever of Iplayer, Netflix etc is the big local traffic generator) we
could quickly end up with only a relatively small amount of bandwidth
needed for the very long tail of IPv4-only websites if the top 100, top
1000 (or whatever) get native IPv6 access in the foreseeable future.

(And you might expect the one third of bandwidth that's P2P to migrate
pretty much with the connectivity).

Meanwhile, I'll still be nagging my website hosting company to
dual-home, but nagging is about all I can do.
--
Roland Perry
     governance at lists.cpsr.org