[governance] FW: [IP] Fwd: IPv4 Address Exhaustion Milestone & Comcast Starts DOCSIS IPv6 Trial

Karl Auerbach karl at cavebear.com
Wed Feb 2 20:06:50 EST 2011

On 02/02/2011 01:39 PM, Lee W McKnight wrote:

> IPv4 is history...

That, like the 1897 report of Mark Twain's death, might be an exaggeration.

My company does testing of internet protocols.  Our customers include
many, perhaps most, of the the "big names".

We *do* offer IPv6 products and we do run IPv6 inside our offices.

But demand from our customers for IPv6 is very light.  (Some of 'em are
still trying to get IPv4 to work right. ;-)

We ask our customers whether they perceive IPv6 demand.

The answer is usually "no".

Between NATs letting a lot of air out of the need for addresses at the
consumer end, and the fact that IPv6 doesn't solve the bigger (and
harder) internet problem of routing, not to mention the klunky
compatibility/conversion issues I'm perceiving IPv6 as the Little Engine
that Could - we hear a lot of "I think I can, I think I can" - but we
don't yet know whether it will actually make it to the top of the hill.

By-the-way, and definitely less seriously, there are "stories" about
some of the predictions of IPv4 exhaustion - mine, from 1990, is here:
http://www.cavebear.com/cbblog-archives/000210.html

	--karl--
     governance at lists.cpsr.org