[governance] Revised version of statement on themes for Nairobi

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Fri Feb 4 09:49:27 EST 2011

Jeremy Malcolm <jeremy at ciroap.org> wrote:

> On 02/02/2011, at 6:01 PM, JFC Morfin wrote:
> > Then, we have a problem. As Norbert mentions it, what you describe
> in the "consensual document" sounds to be 35 years old.
>
> The earlier you speak up with contributions to a document, before it
> goes to a consensus call, the easier it is to incorporate your
> thoughts.

(I spoke up with my request on Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 8:52 PM, but
I was very busy in the following days leading up to the Consensus
Call and not easily able to read all of the list's mails in detail
during the days when the text was developed that then went into
Consensus Call. Nobody opposed my request.)

> So if anyone has strong views for or against adding to the network
> neutrality statement, please speak up now and we can take this into
> consideration:
>
> "An open internet is based on open standards in such a way that it
> also resists the creation of any new monopolies in the area of
> information and communication technologies."

It's probably redundant for me to say so again, but I still feel
very strongly that it's important to add something to this effect,
because otherwise our statement would convey a wrong perspective
regarding what the phrase "an open internet" should be understood
to mean.

> Otherwise, although it may not become part of the written
> contribution, it can still be raised at the February open
> consultation meeting orally.

In my opinion, if a very one-sided perspective or wrong meaning is
attached to a phrase through a written statement, it is very unlikely
to be effective when the attempt is made to add the missing aspect
orally.

> In fairness we have also had another request to add text to the
> statement, which came off-list, from Yuliya Morenets stating that we
> should "make reference to marginalised people with regard to all
> aspects of the ICT (maybe at the last statement)".

In my view, this request is also very worthy of support.

Let me try to suggest some specific words, and a place where they
could be added:

The first sentence under "4. Access to knowledge" reads as follows:
"Access to knowledge is part of the great promise of the Internet in
aiding development, education and culture both within and between
countries."

This could be followed by the following additional text:

"It is particularly important that all people who struggle with
poverty or are otherwise marginalised in society must be empowered
to fully benefit from today's information and communication
technologies."

Greetings,
Norbert
     governance at lists.cpsr.org