[governance] Re: Why the unilateral US control over generic TLD is dangerous

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Wed Feb 2 07:26:07 EST 2011

In message <20110202081534.GA4330 at nic.fr>, at 09:15:34 on Wed, 2 Feb
2011, Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer at internatif.org> writes
>On Tue, Feb 01, 2011 at 08:03:09PM +0000,
> Roland Perry <roland at internetpolicyagency.com> wrote
> a message of 31 lines which said:
>
>> Every organisation has to be under the jurisdiction of one court or
>> another.
>
>It can be under an international treaty, precisely to avoid this danger.

With an international court in the Hague (for example)?

I thought that's what a lot of people were trying to avoid (the capture
of cyberspace by one intergovernmental body).

>> The obvious one to choose is where your corporate HQ is,
>
>So, generic TLD are not really international, they are limited to US
>corporations?

The place of business of registrants is usually quite independent from
that of the registry (unless it has a specific limitation in its
charter).
--
Roland Perry
     governance at lists.cpsr.org