[governance] Single Character IDN-TLDs and gTLD Applications

Daniel Kalchev daniel at digsys.bg
Sat Dec 17 03:00:17 EST 2011

Another issue occurred to me -- there was the idea to use "б" instead of "бг" for an IDN ccTLD. But this brings out the question, that perhaps common-root strings should not be allowed, because the shorter string might be considered a typo of the longer string.

Typically example: .com and .co

>From this it follows that common-alphabet single-character strings are bad idea. Suppose we have two applications  in Cyrillic:

.ба (say, Bulgarian Authors)
and
.бан (say, Bulgarian Academy of Sciences)

then those two strings , having a common root inherently create confusion. Add to that also

.б (say, Bulgaria)

and we have complete mess. Perhaps only with hieroglyphs things are different.

I do not see policy to this effect proposed or implemented anywhere in the new gTLD process.

Daniel