[governance] Plagiarism and intellectual property

Andrea Glorioso andrea at digitalpolicy.it
Fri Dec 16 01:41:01 EST 2011

Dear Jean-Louis,

On Thursday, December 15, 2011, Jean-Louis FULLSACK <jlfullsack at orange.fr>
wrote:
> Dear All
>
> i cannot but subscribe to all the arguments Wolfgang is presenting in his
comments. Thanks to him for having given such a substance to my initial
message. For all the mentioned reasons -also in former mails- Guttengerg is
NOT the mediator European CS and "European Values" deserve.

> Once again -and sorry for Andrea- Mrs Kroes did a very big mistake and
discredited the work done so far by the European bodies, i.a. the European
Parliament. I do hope she will be informed about our discussion.

You don't need to be sorry for me (but thanks for the thought :). I am
still unconvinced by the arguments I heard, which I personally think are
based on an understanding of the political priorities and constraints we
are facing (and of the role of zu Guttenberg, who is not a spokesperson nor
certainly a "mediator" in the sense I would normally give to the term) that
simply do not correspond to reality.

I am also deeply unconvinced about the rather romantic depiction of "civil
society" in authoritarian regimes made by Wolfgang and others. Those
activists and citizens whom I met (with Neelie Kroes or alone) ranged from
very romantic types indeed, to people who would have made Machiavelli take
notes. (Needless to say, being the cynical black soul of a eurocrat I am, I
personally connected much better with the latter ones :).

But in the end it is not my opinion that counts.

Vice-President Kroes will certainly be informed of the exchanges, although
I am afraid I am not enough of a poet to properly convey the level of
indignation and grief I heard from some of you (yes, I *am* being a tiny
wee sarcastic here :).

Again, I encourage you to contact Neelie Kroes if you want to let her know
something, but let me friendly remind you: the time and attention of a
European Commissioner, like any other person in a similar office, is a
(very) scarce resource. It is your choice on what you want such time and
attention to be focused: on decisions already taken, or on those yet to
take.

Best,

Andrea