[governance] SOPA or no SOPA

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Tue Dec 13 01:11:06 EST 2011

On Monday 12 December 2011 07:19 PM, John Curran wrote:

> Karl, Parminder -
>
>    While acknowledging the value and need for countervailing mechanisms,
>    we also need to have mechanisms operating entirely within the established
>    organizations at a policy level which amplify less well-funded/backed
>    voices in the policy process.

John,
Nothing can I agree to more! If there were one mission of our
organisation it will be to promote such democratic participation.

>    For example, from a policy perspective, the way that the ASO handles
>    global policies requires alignment of communities in all five regional
>    registries to establish new global policy.  This is an intentionally
>    high bar; one that requires solid consensus in order to proceed.
>    Parties have multiple fora in which to make their case for/against
>    a policy, and actual listening and accommodation of needs of less
>    popular views is inevitably required if one hopes to make new global
>    address policy.

I greatly appreciate the ideal of high level of consensus that is upheld
in a lot of technical policy making processes, and it may/does work to
prevent highjacking of policy making processes by a few, more powerful.
However, larger political issues, beyond the technical, may not be best
served by similar processes. By definition, 'technical' is that in which
case there is always a best (or close to best) solution that is
beneficial more or less to all, except maybe a minuscule minority.
However, the 'political', the subject of public polices, involves much
clearer trade-offs and division-of-benefits/losses. Consensus based
governance processes, like multistakeholderism (as a system of
governance), in such cases, simply perpetuate the status quo, which is
often very unjust.

The most powerful interests are able to veto any progressive change. For
instance, if we were looking at whether the richest should be taxed
more, a hot political issue in the US, what are the chances that such a
move can be carried by consensus? And if large corporates sat at the
policy table, will they  let it pass? I am just trying to make a point
that what works in CIR management does not necessarily work for larger
political and public policy issues involved in global Internet
governance. The latter require a different response. But, as I said in
my reply to Karl, in IG civil society spaces we are still largely stuck
in a situation where questions about larger political/ public policy
issues related to IG get responded to by an analysis and 'solution'
largely from within a CIR management thinking. Wherein, it is very easy
to react to any genuine political effort to address these political
problems by a knee jerk response that non-US governments just want to
take control of CIR management.

>    Whether these mechanisms with the established Internet systems are
>    sufficient to prevent external policy imposition by state actors
>    remains on open question; one hopes that we can at least limit the
>    effect of such incursions to entities within the state's purview.

The precise point of my original 'sopa or no sopa' posting was to show
how this is not the case, and US state actors are able to impose their
will over the whole world. This is a 'real situation' that requires a
'real response'. In the circumstances, the least that global civil
society can do is to sympathise with developing countries when they
speak up against such unfairness and injustice, and call for urgent
corrective actions.

parminder