[governance] SOPA or no SOPA

John Curran jcurran at istaff.org
Mon Dec 12 08:49:23 EST 2011

On Dec 12, 2011, at 12:40 AM, Karl Auerbach wrote:

> On 12/10/2011 06:44 AM, parminder wrote:
>
>> We need countervailing systems of political and democratic power for the
>> global Internet.
>
> You already have them.
>
> With regard to DNS, any person, or group of persons, is free to set up
> their own DNS roots, populate them with whatever top level domains
> (TLD)s they like, provision their own DNS servers, and point their
> computers at those servers.  And DNSSEC will still work.
>
> As for IP addresses - this is a bit more expensive:  Anyone can
> establish their own routing systems with their own links and routers and
> using their own distinct IPv4 (or IPv6) address space.  Connectivity to
> "the rest of the world" would be via application level gateways/proxies
> - most modern protocols don't mind proxies or application level gateways.

Karl, Parminder -

  While acknowledging the value and need for countervailing mechanisms,
  we also need to have mechanisms operating entirely within the established
  organizations at a policy level which amplify less well-funded/backed
  voices in the policy process.

  For example, from a policy perspective, the way that the ASO handles
  global policies requires alignment of communities in all five regional
  registries to establish new global policy.  This is an intentionally
  high bar; one that requires solid consensus in order to proceed.
  Parties have multiple fora in which to make their case for/against
  a policy, and actual listening and accommodation of needs of less
  popular views is inevitably required if one hopes to make new global
  address policy.

  Whether these mechanisms with the established Internet systems are
  sufficient to prevent external policy imposition by state actors
  remains on open question; one hopes that we can at least limit the
  effect of such incursions to entities within the state's purview.
  That may not be ideal, but in theory such actions are no different
  than any other disagreement between government/governed regarding
  appropriate voice & representation and hence not global Internet
  governance matters per se.

FYI,
/John

Disclaimer:  My views alone. This view may be obstructed or eliminated
by subsequent development which may reduce the overall value of thoughts
by those enjoying it, and repeated use of this view does not create any
easement in my mind protecting against future redevelopment.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org