[governance] SOPA or no SOPA

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Mon Dec 12 11:41:27 EST 2011

On Monday 12 December 2011 11:10 AM, Karl Auerbach wrote:
> On 12/10/2011 06:44 AM, parminder wrote:
>

>> We need countervailing systems of political and democratic power for the
>> global Internet.
>>
> You already have them.
>
> With regard to DNS, any person, or group of persons, is free to set up
> their own DNS roots,

Karl,

The unfortunate problem is that a non CIRs issue of global governance
(here, in my quoted email, private and extra territorial IP enforcement)
so often gets responded to by a CIR management solution. I have endless
(non) debates with McTim over similar lines. Why should discussions on
so many other more important issues of global Internet governance remain
forever hostage to the logics and sensitivities of CIR management space.

  Even if I were to accept your argument, the issue remains that unlike
DNS, a group of people cannot set up their own IP regime that is immune
to IP regimes that are otherwise operating over them, de jure or de
facto. I have asked for countervailing systems of political and
democratic power specifically against US's unilateral enforcement of its
law over other countries. I dont see how this problem gets solved by
your response.

As for CIR governance, which I insist is a rather different kind of
issue: In fact, perhaps unlike you, and I respect your views, I do not
have any problem with a single root and a single DNS, or even for ICANN
to be managing it. I only have a problem with UN gov oversight of ICANN
and applicaiton of US law to ICANN. Just that part should move to an
international jurisdiction, with nothing else changing substantially.
This is a simple, clear and, in my view, wholly reasonable demand.

We all know that sooner or later, a US court is going to issue a
direction to ICANN  to act in a certain way, in pursuance of upholding
US law in one of the thousand possible areas that can cause such an
order, and ICANN will have to do it, and all the feigned innocence of
ICANN's globalness and neutrality will be gone up in thin air in a
moment. And, hopefully later than sooner, US government itself will be
caught into a high stake security 'situation' whereby it will just have
to do something vis a vis the CIRs that it exercises control over, in
negation of what it likes to make everyone believe that it will never
do. I have no idea why we must all wait for that time to scramble to
solve the problem that we know is already there.

parminder