[governance] SOPA or no SOPA

Daniel Kalchev daniel at digsys.bg
Mon Dec 12 08:59:01 EST 2011

On Dec 12, 2011, at 7:40 AM, Karl Auerbach wrote:

> On 12/10/2011 06:44 AM, parminder wrote:
>
>> We need countervailing systems of political and democratic power for the
>> global Internet.
>
> […]
> What I am saying is that there are forces, from both sides of the
> "liberty" equation, that are combining to push today's singular
> end-to-end internet into an internet of internets.

To this, I would like to add, that the more decentralized system is much, much more difficult to control and twist. By responding to political motivation with political tools you only make it so easy for 'negotiation' to take place and the current islands of "we want to control the Internet" to grow.

By being distributed, is locally controlled, Internet is designed to withstand exactly this type of abuse. You don't like that single US based search provider? Fine, just create your own. You control it and if something goes wrong you are responsible for it.

It is all too easy to give up freedom for convenience, but those that will control you are just humans and subject to all human weaknesses.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org