[governance] Freedom Online conference & UNGA developments

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Fri Dec 9 05:00:54 EST 2011

On Friday 09 December 2011 03:13 PM, William Drake wrote:
> Thanks Parminder.  One follow up:
>
> On Dec 9, 2011, at 10:33 AM, parminder wrote:
>
>> On the other hand, I understand that there is an effort by G 77 to
>> get the enhanced cooperation topic to CSTD (Commission on Science and
>> Technology and Development) in a more focused and formal manner then
>> it is in any case being handled there at present,  through an open
>> consultation/ meeting on it this May at the CSTD annual session.
>
> I've heard the idea is being floated of a formal CSTD working group on
> enhanced cooperation, potentially to include the Indian CIRP proposal.

Bill,

Such a CSTD WG was proposed by the IBSA statement in Dec 2010 to the
UNDESA consultation  and was also a part of the statement of India in
Oct 2011 to the Gen Assembly on CIRP.    (Any such WG will of course
look into all proposals on the table, and as we know there are not many.
One hopes that a more formal move in this regard with 'force' others to
put up their proposals regarding enhanced cooperation mandate of WSIS
rather than do the politics of abstaining - and to press the point a
little harder, the politics of obfuscation, which in effect really is
the politics of status quo.)

However, again purely based on hearsay, it seems more likely that there
will be a Chair of CSTD held open consultation/ meeting in May than a
CSTD WG. parminder