[governance] regulating the digital space - whose laws apply, and whose do not

Daniel Kalchev daniel at digsys.bg
Tue Aug 30 03:18:25 EDT 2011

On 29.08.11 23:17, Paul Lehto wrote:
> On 8/29/11, Daniel Kalchev<daniel at digsys.bg>  wrote:
>> It will help your perspective greatly, if you forget the "government" part.
>>
>> Where Internet is 'free' this is not because of any Government.
> Where there is no government and no law, it is pure survival of the
> most predatory (not "fittest") and there are no rights, and certainly
> not any equality of opportunity.  Governments are created to "secure
> these rights" as our own Declaration of Independence put it, yet from
> time to time all governments, including my own, get away from this
> most fundamental purpose for which they were created.

There can be law, even without "government". This is very fundamental.

> I grant you all the government abuses you wish to cite, what I am saying is that
> government must do its proper job in order to have a level playing field and the rights and equality of opportunity that most people highly associate with a "free" country.

I am glad we agree on this basic principle. Governments (and laws) are
here precisely to provide and maintain (usually by using force) adequate
environments where society, business and individuals do what they do.
Governments and laws cannot exists for their own purposes, and when this
happens, it is soon followed by some form of revolution that blows them
away (both governments AND laws) with force.

In the end, there is the universal law of "Common Sense" (my wording),
that rules over all other laws created by humans.
Some chose to call it "Human Rights". It rules over Internet too.

Daniel
     governance at lists.cpsr.org