[governance] regulating the digital space - whose laws apply, and whose do not

Matthias C. Kettemann matthias.kettemann at uni-graz.at
Mon Aug 29 15:29:14 EDT 2011

Dear all,

I think this thread is very interesting as it has at its center the
intricate (and often controversialI relationship of internaitonal and
national law, custom and standards in the regulation of online behaviour
and the evolution of the online environment.

Laws do matter in the regulation of national approaches to online
behaviour. As the economic dimension of the Internet has grown over the
last decades, the 'normative need' - in the eyes of legislators - has
grown, too. The answers to that need are of differing elegance and
functionality. Better designing national Internet regulation is an
important concern.

With regard to Internet Governance, however, normative approaches are
supplemented by custom and other forms of not legally binding (but often
just as effective) arrangements.

Generally, I believe that we need a more comprehensive understanding of
existing normative attemps - at a national and an international level -
to the challenges of governing the Internet and the behaviour of users.
It is here where Norbert's Internet Mapping approach can make important
contributions.

Our understanding of the normative challenges can further be informed by
the multitude of recently developed principles and standards, including
the 10 Internet Rights and Principles those from the Internet Rights and
Principles Coalition.

Kind regards

Matthias

     governance at lists.cpsr.org