[governance] regulating the digital space - whose laws apply, and whose do not

michael gurstein gurstein at gmail.com
Sat Aug 27 13:38:57 EDT 2011

IMHO (and following Sala, Paul, Parminder et al...

The issue is not who/how should "regulate the Internet" but rather who/how
can regulate commerce and the flow of goods, money, people, and information
in an Internet enabled world.

As we are seeing on this list and in the real world the difficulties of
regulating activities in these areas both at the intra-national, national
and global levels are rapidly outrunning the capacity of existing
instrumentalities to respond. National and global instititutions are
currently going through various convoluted and ultimately futile processes
to attempt to adapt.  New institutions are, as we speak, in the process of
being developed.

The role of Civil Society in this is not IMHO to argue about how existing
institutions can adapt (or not) but rather to be working towards global
institutions that reflect the basic values of civil society -- democratic
governance, accountability, transparency, and so on.

Mike