[governance] China supports UK Internet Policy

Riaz K Tayob riaz.tayob at gmail.com
Mon Aug 22 03:50:03 EDT 2011

On 2011/08/22 10:54 AM, Roland Perry wrote:
> Exactly so, just as physical curfew does. That's why I think it's a
> good analogy, and either form of curfew needs to be imposed only when
> it's necessary and proportionate.

Anticipatory shut downs (San Francisco metro), or lack of due process
(Bush with telecoms operators) will need to be looked at with a
different eye. Limits on speech and association are the rule, everything
else is the exception and should be treated as such.

> ambivalent nature of technology
> "You should see the other guy" is never a good justification for one's
> own wrongdoing.
That is not the point at all. The state has a responsibility to uphold
freedoms and must intervene when necessary. Given that technology
provides a number of options with which to "keep to the peace" the use
of the nuclear option (curfew/blackout) would need to be carefully
assessed, particularly that thinking about crimes are NOT crimes
themselves. What happened in SanF recently is analogous to crimimal
law's "death penalty" in terms of civil and political
expression/association rights.
     governance at lists.cpsr.org