[governance] Another Immovable Legal Object Meeting An Irresistable Internet Force (this time it ain't Taipei...

Salanieta T. Tamanikaiwaimaro salanieta.tamanikaiwaimaro at gmail.com
Sat Aug 20 17:46:02 EDT 2011

McTim, one thing is for certain, it will be fun to watch and see what
happens in the space. Watching the debate between Paul and Daniel reminds
and others of course reminds me of a picture which was shown to a class.
Students were asked what the picture was, some said, it's of a beautiful
lady in her 20s who is refined and polished and I would not mind taking her
out. Others said, it's a picture of an old lady, some said she looked like
an old hag.

The distinction of course was in perception. They were both seeing the same
picture but seeing totally different images. Stephen R Covey in his "The 7
Habits of Highly Effective people" illustrates this example in the first two
chapters, I think.

I am not trying in any way to reduce the ongoing debate by boxing it but
would merely like to as an observer of the debate appreciate where each
debater is seeing from so I can appreciate the various rich contexts that
you all have to offer.

I think that when Daniel mentioned the regulation of the end point and the
internet being a cloud, it helped me to see how his perception was being
formed. Perhaps because my training is in law, so my natural paradigm is
configured to see where Paul is coming from.

As someone who is immersed in internet governance, I am enjoying the
multi-layered complexity and the challenges that governance discussion
brings. In Covey's book, he explores how as people begin to attempt to see
and understand the diverse perspectives, they could then start discussing
solutions.

Best,

Sala

--
Sala

" Perfect Stillness in the midst of the noise".