[governance] Another Immovable Legal Object Meeting An Irresistable Internet Force (this time it ain't Taipei...

Daniel Kalchev daniel at digsys.bg
Thu Aug 18 02:26:21 EDT 2011

On 18.08.11 03:08, Paul Lehto wrote:
> A Lawless world is welcomed by extremel few that have considered the
> implications, with radical anarchists the main exception. That said,
> there has been a global economy using a recognized matrix of national
> and int'l law for quite a number of years.

None of these is nearly as global or nearly as accessible to anyone like
the Internet. None if this is essentially free.

>   In addition, telephones
> have been regulated fornearly a century, even though they're a
> telecommunications network and an older access point for the internet
> too.

The telephone network was regulated by an international oligopoly.
Everyone agreed it was BAD.
Are you suggesting similar model for Internet governance?

By the way, that telephone network was based primarily on contracts to
make it work. Contracts between operators mostly. Bilateral contracts
usually. Contracts between operator and user (these could not be evil,
you see, because the oligopoly said so -- although enough humans who
used the telephone network are still alive to testify otherwise).
Government granted monopolies. Governments bribed by PTT operators
(because of the huge cash flow and influence). "Lawful" stopping any
competition. Preventing any new entrant to the "democratic" market, as
long as they do not belong to the club (and not agreed to apply the same
torment to the human race, that is, sign the Contract). Internet changed
all that.
So are contracts indeed bad? Or are contracts made by "our people" good,
while contracts by "anyone else" are bad?
This sounds way too familiar :)
The telephone network of the pre-Internet era was the worst example you
could give for your cause.
By the way, Internet changed the telephone network too -- for good!

Still, you did not answer my question, Paul. It was simple. It was about
democracy.

Daniel
     governance at lists.cpsr.org