[governance] Another Immovable Legal Object Meeting An Irresistable Internet Force (this time it ain't Taipei...

Daniel Kalchev daniel at digsys.bg
Wed Aug 17 06:45:25 EDT 2011

On 13.08.11 07:02, Paul Lehto wrote:
> If the internet is "different" specifically in the sense of the
> application of law, then the speaker is claiming that all or part of
> the internet is above the Rule of Law.
Nice try Paul, but please don't claim I suggested any of this!
Internet is different. :) Here, in this reality humans can freely
express and those who read sometimes understand.

All I said is, because Internet is different, in that it obeys no
borders, there is no applicable law of 'democratic nature', designed
outside of the Internet, that is applicable to Internet as whole.

This is because by (your) definition, let me cite:

    The Rule of Law refers to the priority or primacy of the laws made by
    actions of freely elected legislatures over everything else that is
    "against the law", so long as those democratically adopted laws are
    not unconstitutional, and don't violate universal human rights.

Internet is a different reality, than the physical world. It crosses any
and all borders of the physical world.

I asked you a simple question. Let me ask again: how does a
"democratically elected" entity in one country have any power in another
country, where that same entity is NOT democratically elected to have
that power?

Otherwise, I agree -- everything you say is correct, in theory. Only
problem is you try to project it in a different reality, where the
projection might not even make sense.

Daniel