[governance] Meeting report ECOSOC presentations

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Thu Aug 4 08:29:32 EDT 2011

In message <4E3A31F4.6080805 at apc.org>, at 07:45:24 on Thu, 4 Aug 2011,
Anriette Esterhuysen <anriette at apc.org> writes
>Sometimes small groups
>of CS people have discussions before sessions or during lunch, but it is
>not consistent or well planned.  And added to this is that we also try
>to liaise with business and the tech people as we have a common concern
>with keeping the space open to non-governmental actors.
>
>In the end we just don't work enough on strengthening CS participation.
> I would suggest we make this a goal for next year's CSTD. We should
>have a pre-session face to face meeting of those in Geneva, and then
>daily briefings as well.

Very good advice.

As a minimum you should aim to have a substantial internal meeting the
day before the event, a strategy breakfast on day 2, 3 etc, and reserve
lunchtime for networking with other stakeholders in general, and the
evenings for dinners with targeted influencers[1].

If it's not a series of 18 hour days, it's almost doomed not to provide
the desired outcomes.

This applies to any such international gatherings, not just CSTD, of
course.

[1] Ignore that fact that there's lots of food and drink involved - it's
unlikely to exceed the flights and hotel rooms and is simply a "cost of
doing business".
--
Roland Perry
     governance at lists.cpsr.org