[governance] Re: Good contribution on IP addresses and Internet Governance

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 06:25:53 EDT 2011

On Tue, Apr 26, 2011 at 11:37 AM, Daniel Kalchev <daniel at digsys.bg> wrote:

<snip>

> The RIR's assumption about ISPs is that these entities lease the IP
> addresses to end users for the duration of the service. Thus the ISP gets
> allocated larger chunk that they need for their own operation, in order to
> accommodate such activity.

LIRs (Local Internet Registries, which are usually ISPs, but can be
hosting/colo providers or ccTLDs or a Google or an IBM) get what they
say the need (and can prove) for a specified time frame.

 By this definition, hosting and collocation
> companies would also fall in the ISP category, although they do not provide
> end connectivity.

but they can become LIRs.

> There needs to be clear balance with future IP address distribution however.
> In Europe, if you want to be an independent resource holder, you have to pay
> RIPE about as much, as a small ISP would. This only makes trading the IP
> addresses cheaper more attractive option.

Then its a good thing that RIPE policy prevents sub-assignment of PI
space.  Setting fees a bit higher also discourages consumption of
routing slots.

--
Cheers,

McTim