On NN workshop RE: Re: [governance] Three IGC workshops ) NN FYI DIPLO

Fouad Bajwa fouadbajwa at gmail.com
Sun Apr 17 00:36:02 EDT 2011

Hi Milton, I will have to usher everyone to the basic fact that developing countries tend to group and find a leader amongst them to follow. This is true in the case reported by Freedom House that Pakistan may have worser Internet censorship and freedom limiting practices in place and most of this comes from the actions of corporate giants and western countries attempting to hurt the beliefs of the country's majority citizenry.

Now that the country should take those stances and thanks to Boeing's Naurus technology sold from the US to Pakistan, the country is able to dpi, sniff and censor a lot of content over all carrier traffic from the trans connect inwards from Karachi through the Pakistan Internet exchange pie. The example is followed by many around the region and the news surfaced during Egypts revolution too.

 This is a game being played and there is a public interest that has what you say but also another logic that evolves that the public interest is born and led forward by people against this hypocrisy displayed by corporations in the west selling the tools to censor and limit participation and then like facebook going against it's own terms of service supporting the display of discriminating content to incite chaos and hurt the beliefs of people mostly from Muslim developing world and or Muslims anywhere.

The NN debate limitation to just carriers and content providers is another display of hypocrisy. It has other issues included now and it's time the developing world also looked in to this and stepped out of the western public interest definition into an understanding that there is something called a developing country public interest.

Policy makers do not know and they will not know in the developing world because western companies come here and educate and sell censorship technology, run a global security incident response network that encourages them to be afraid and do attempt to capitalize on a global capital!

FoO....!