On NN workshop RE: Re: [governance] Three IGC workshops ) NN FYI DIPLO

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sat Apr 16 00:02:30 EDT 2011

Regarding the distinction made between participant and service
neutrality, FCC regulations as well as Norway's guidelines (as any other
serious attempt at codifying what is NN) clearly makes allowance for
different treatment for different kinds of services, if so required for
'public interest', this term being key. So, there is considerably less
confusion about what constitutes NN than is often made out to be. About
whether NN should be applied fully, or not (as in case of FCC's
treatment of mobile Internet) remains contested though. This is not the
same as having confusions about what NN means. I think this latter
debate needs a rest for us to really look at why NN and the nature of
public interest involved.

(As for the below discussed case about participant neutrality being
masked as service neutrality, any kind of serious application of a
social regulation - as opposed to technical ones - will require looking
at such one off cases as one off cases, tested against larger basic
principles involved, in light of what is public interest. It is
impossible to fix all such thing with complete precision in advance in
any social law or regulation, something I do understand doesnt sit very
well with minds trained for technical levels of precise clarity, . So
lets not keep blaming an insufficient definition of NN  for not going
forward on this key global and national IG issue.)

Parminder