On NN workshop RE: Re: [governance] Three IGC workshops ) NN FYI DIPLO

Fouad Bajwa fouadbajwa at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 09:42:48 EDT 2011

It would be advisable that for once, this workshop should only give the
developing world perspective. What I have felt on NN issues is lobbies
fighting with each other while keeping out the developing world segment that
will be truly affected by the Internet.

I want to add the capacity building element here. I don't see a single
activity on the ground where a certain NN advocacy group has gone to
regulators to educate them on NN related issues and how to/not to develop a
stand on the issue. The fact remains that the larger portion of Internet and
Web resources remain in the developed West and the developing east and south
are usually outside the picture.

Not having the knowledge nor capacity leads regulators to regulate the
Internet in such a way that is not beneficial for their citizenry and in the
long run not at all beneficial for the governments themselves because they
cap themselves from providing their social and economic setup the
opportunity that a neutral network would actually offer. This is a whole
different debate.

Within the NN debate I am yet to see corporations from the developing world
step into the discussion or fight on issues pertaining to the topic at any
global Internet discussion forum so the issue remains, do we want to bring
in those that continue to blur the NN debate and give them the opportunity
to continue to do so or should we now move the whole NN discussion towards
the developing countries.

I appreciate the fact that such detailed documentation is being identified
but it really does not reflect an opportunity but more of a blurring
activity that should be avoided and a very subjective approach to addressing
the NN realities keeping developing countries as the focus should be
adopted.

_-- FoO