[governance] What next with the IGF Improvement?

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Thu Apr 14 03:48:46 EDT 2011

In message <1302766143.14893.14.camel at terminus-Aspire-L320>, at 15:29:03
on Thu, 14 Apr 2011, Jeremy Malcolm <jeremy at ciroap.org> writes
>On Thu, 2011-04-14 at 09:53 +0300, McTim wrote:
>> I think the tack I would take is that because there is a conflict
>> between those who want outputs and those who want to focus on capacity
>> building, the IGF spends too much time and energy on discussing
>> itself, and not enough time doing its main purpose, which is capacity
>> building.  If workshops actually focused on teaching folk instead of
>> "shape of the table" issues it could be very useful indeed.
>
>I would have said the opposite.  Any old conference can do capacity
>building; this is the IGF's least important function in my view.

Best leave that to ITU BDT then ;) And I do recall it being said that
there was no place for "dummies guide to IP" at IGFs after Sharm.

>Not any conference can do multi-stakeholder deliberation on Internet
>policy issues.  And I think the IGF spends too little time discussing
>institutional issues, which is why neither our Indian workshop proposal
>nor the mapping proposal fit within any of the substantive themes.

I think the IGF should be a place to do capacity building amongst IGF
attendees, who can then take their new-found multistakeholder skills and
contacts to other venues for the real work to be done.

The problem is, you probably can't justify it on that alone. So you need
some other sessions as the excuse to get everyone into what's really a
4-day team building exercise.
--
Roland Perry
     governance at lists.cpsr.org