[governance] What next with the IGF Improvement?

Jeremy Malcolm jeremy at ciroap.org
Thu Apr 14 03:29:03 EDT 2011

On Thu, 2011-04-14 at 09:53 +0300, McTim wrote:
> I think the tack I would take is that because there is a conflict
> between those who want outputs and those who want to focus on capacity
> building, the IGF spends too much time and energy on discussing
> itself, and not enough time doing its main purpose, which is capacity
> building.  If workshops actually focused on teaching folk instead of
> "shape of the table" issues it could be very useful indeed.

I would have said the opposite.  Any old conference can do capacity
building; this is the IGF's least important function in my view.  Not
any conference can do multi-stakeholder deliberation on Internet policy
issues.  And I think the IGF spends too little time discussing
institutional issues, which is why neither our Indian workshop proposal
nor the mapping proposal fit within any of the substantive themes.

--
Dr Jeremy Malcolm
Project Coordinator

Empowering Tomorrow’s Consumers
CI World Congress, 3-6 May 2011, Hong Kong

Businesses, governments and civil society are invited to join consumer
groups from around the world for four days of debate and discussion on
the issues that matter most to consumers. Register now!
http://www.consumersinternational.org/congress

Read our email confidentiality notice. Don't print this email unless
necessary.