[governance] Mapping IG workshop (was Re: Three IGC...)

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Mon Apr 11 13:53:49 EDT 2011

Sivasubramanian M <isolatedn at gmail.com> wrote:

> As for Topic 2, mapping Internet Governance, it requires utmost care in
> handling a topic of this nature, hope that the IGC handles this topic in a
> manner that the topic is not captured and that workshop brings about a
> balanced outcome

I absolutely agree on the importance of avoiding "capture". I'd
suggest that one possible preventive countermeasure, which is
also valuable in its own right, will be to put special emphasis
on the needs of potential participants in IG decision-making
processes from developing countries (see updated proposal summary
below).

Would you be able to propose a co-organizer for this workshop
(prefereably someone with a strong background in "IG for development"
aspects) whose imvolvement would give you the confidence that
"topic capture" will not happen?

Greetings,
Norbert

  Mapping Internet Governance (IGC sponsored workshop at Nairobi IGF)

  This workshop will explore where and how Internet Governance decisions
  are currently taken. What are the relevant fora and decision-making
  bodies? In what topic areas do they make decisions and with what
  kinds of impacts? How can individuals and stakeholder organizations
  make sure that their viewpoints and concerns are appropriately taken
  into consideration?

  Besides having a discussion of these topics in Nairobi, the workshop
  aims at initiating a multistakeholder process for creating a document
  "Map of Internet Governance" which addresses these questions from a
  balanced, multistakeholder perspective, and for thereafter keeping
  this document up-to-date. As a starting point for the discussions, a
  list of already existing documents with similar goals and a rough
  draft for a first edition of the Map will be prepared in advance. At
  the workshop itself, it will be a main goal to learn from diverse
  stakeholders about what information is important to them to empower
  their effective participation in Internet Governance fora.

  There will be special emphasis on the challenges related to effective
  participation from developing countries in Internet Governance
  decision-making processes, with the objective of ensuring that the
  resulting decisions become more conductive to development goals.

     governance at lists.cpsr.org