[governance] Freedom on the Net 2011: Growing Threats to the Internet & Digital Media

Robert Guerra lists at privaterra.org
Sun Apr 10 22:16:47 EDT 2011

I would like to share details of the following Freedom House event that I am
helping organize in the San Francisco Bay Area in about a week's time.

http://goo.gl/LSlXZ

*FREEDOM ON THE NET 2011* <http://goo.gl/LSlXZ>*: *

*Growing Threats to the Internet & Digital
Media*<http://cts.vresp.com/c/?WorldAffairsCouncil/88c5a2624e/TEST/a3a803279e/ID=2950&utm_content=%7bURIENCODE%5bSOURCE%5d%7d&utm_source=VerticalResponse&utm_medium=Email&utm_term=Growing%20Threats%20to%20the%20Internet%20%26amp%3B%20Digital%20Media&utm_campaign=Panel%20on%20Information%20Technology%20%26%20Freedom>

As the recent uprisings across the Middle East have shown, information
technology facilitates political change, but for that very reason,
authoritarian regimes are intensifying their controls over the internet.
 Freedom House is now issuing its report in levels of freedom on the
internet around the world, which rates internet access, censorship, and user
rights in 37 countries and assesses key trends in freedom of digital media.
 The presentation of report findings will be followed by a panel discussion
with internet freedom experts.  Brought to you by the Yahoo! Series on
Business and Human Rights.

*Alex Fowler*, Global* *Privacy* *and Public Policy Leader, Mozilla

*Gwen Hinze*, International Director, Electronic Frontier Foundation
*Sanja Kelly*, Senior Researcher & Managing Editor, Freedom House
*Ebele Okobi-Harris*, Director of Business & Human Rights Program, Yahoo!
*Nicole Wong*, Vice President and Deputy General Counsel, Google

Moderated by *Joseph Menn*, Technology Correspondent, *The Financial Times*;
Author, *Fatal System Error*

The Yahoo! Series on Business & Human Rights

Monday, April 18, 6:30 PM
World Affairs Council Auditorium
312 Sutter Street, Suite 200
San Francisco, CA 94108

As part of our ongoing commitment to bring you in-depth information on the
most pressing international issues, we are proud to announce this program
will also be available as live webcast.

You can join by going to our homepage <http://goo.gl/LSlXZ> or going to
www.LiveStream.com/WorldAffairs2011<http://www.livestream.com/WorldAffairs2011>