[governance] "Mapping Internet Governance" workshop (was Re: Proposed...)

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Sun Apr 10 16:04:46 EDT 2011

Miguel Alcaine <miguel.alcaine at gmail.com> wrote:
> In my opinion, IGC may build a compendium of what maps are available, and
> present to the workshop a proposal in alpha state (if I take software
> versions) to continue refining such map.
>
> In the workshop, it could be discussed the features of the map itself, its
> content and its future development. I think that establishing an annual
> process to update such map and make it available to the public - probably
> electronically, like one does for ISO 9001, will be very useful.
>
> Having the workshop discussing without a document, may produce good ideas on
> the features of an eventual map, but could limit real progress.
>
> I see more advantages on having a proposed map on alpha version to present
> in Nairobi even if the proposed map needs to be remade from zero for 2012,
> which also happens with software.

I think that this is a very good plan, and I'd very much like to go
forward along these lines.

I'm also interested in exploring whether it's somehow possible to
include, for each forum or group of related fora, contact info for
getting advice on how to get involved productively.

Anyway, the next vitally important step is for someone who has a strong
personal network in the IGF community to join me in volunteering
to be on the organizing team for this workshop. Due to my long
absence from the IGF process (I was at the Athens IGF as a
participant and as a panelist at a workshop), but haven't participated
in the four IGFs since Athens) I absolutely don't want to go forward
unless there's someone on the team who is more up-to-date.

If this workshop idea is to work out, we need to move forward really
quickly here, as the workshop proposals deadline is this upcoming
Friday, and by then we need to have not only text descibing the idea,
but also a list of co-organizers and panelists, with (to the extent
possible) geographical balance, stakeholder balance and gender balance.

Greetings,
Norbert
     governance at lists.cpsr.org