[governance] Proposed workshop text on global net neutrality

parminder parminder at itforchange.net
Sun Apr 10 11:07:13 EDT 2011

Below is a proposed text for a workshop on 'A possible framework for
global Net Neutrality'. Thanks. parminder

    Network Neutrality has been one of the hottest Internet public
    policy issues in many countries, over the last year; US's Federal
    Communications Commission came out with NN guidelines that built
    over an agreement between two principal corporate players in the
    area, EU has bene conducting a pulbic hearing on the issue, French
    telecom regulatory authority have come out with a set of NN
    proposals and recommendations, Brazil a drafting a new civil rights
    framework for the Internet of which NN is an important issue.
    Earlier, in 2009, Norway came out with a much acclaimed set of NN
    guidelines.

    In the background, since Internet is essentially a global network
    and finally there must be common global norms on whether content can
    be prioritised across global digital highways including across
    global interconnection points) on payments by the content providers
    or not. Interesting, cross border network neutrality is a subject
    being dealt with by an experts committee on the Council of Europe.
    If we do not start talking about global norms, taking into
    consideration the interests and viewpoints of all involved, we will
    eventually be faced by a default regime of global traffic flows
    which will be whatever gets decided by the key economic powers. This
    is undemocratic way of subjecting the global public to the political
    choices of a few, most powerful. On the other hand, it is also true
    that even in the more powerful nations, policy making in this area
    may become hostage to the interests of multinational digital
    corporations at the cost of the national public interest. It it
    therefore of considerable value even for the more powerful countries
    to seek global norms on NN.

    The proposed workshop will explore the emerging progressive regimes
    in different countries and explore the possibility of coming up with
    a common set of global norms on NN.