[governance] "Mapping Internet Governance" workshop (was Re: Proposed...)

Norbert Bollow nb at bollow.ch
Fri Apr 8 09:49:48 EDT 2011

Roland Perry <roland at internetpolicyagency.com> wrote:
> >> Would you, for example, include the Council of Europe on account of the
> >> Budapest Convention which has impacts upon network operators to be
> >> slightly more "law enforcement friendly" than otherwise?
> >Given that EDRi, the European Digital Rights organization that
> >cares deeply about these kinds of issues from a human rights
> >perspective, has taken the trouble of becoming a formal Observer at
> >CoE and sending someone to participate at meetings (at least this
> >was the case a few years ago, I'm not sure about the current status)
> >I would expect the result to be that the CoE should definitely be
> >included on the map.
>
> I agree with that analysis. My real point here is to ask when will this
> workshop be analysing all the other potential organisations?
>
> Will the workshop be presenting for discussion a paper that's almost
> complete, or is it the start of the process of writing such a paper?

Since the whole point of doing this as at the IGF is to (try
to) get broad multistakeholder buy-in for the resulting living
document, in the sense of all kinds of stakeholders from all
over the world viewing it as "*our* map document" (rather than
some author's) and contributing to making it reasonably complete
and keeping it up-to-date, I don't think that there are significant
limits on what can be done in advance of the workshop. It's of
course desirable to come prepared with knowledge of the various
pre-existing documents with similar objectives that have been
compiled from various narrower perspectives, and to come with
some ideas for various options on how the resulting "map of
internet governance" document could be structured and organized.

The time in Nairobi should IMO to a significant part be discussion
about how the map document should be designed to make it optimally
useful to all the various stakeholder groups, internationally, and
this not only with regard to its content but also with regard to
the "human networking" impact of the process of creating the
document and keeping it up to date.

In other words, to me this proposal is about creating something
new (building on everything that has been done in the field already),
not about promoting something that I'd have done already.

Greetings,
Norbert
     governance at lists.cpsr.org