[governance] Proposed workshop text on CSTD and/or Indian proposal

Roland Perry roland at internetpolicyagency.com
Fri Apr 8 09:14:00 EDT 2011

In message <p0624084bc9c4b2ed6f7b@[192.168.1.160]>, at 21:47:31 on Fri,
8 Apr 2011, Adam Peake <ajp at glocom.ac.jp> writes

>There is one issue in India's proposal I think could be looked at:
>Enhanced Cooperation.  Says it's important, should be operationalized,
>etc. But it doesn't define it.  A workshop "Defining Enhanced
>Cooperation" might be useful.  I'm certainly not clear what it means.

This is what the CSTD thinks it's all about:

  http://www.unctad.org/en/docs/e2009d92crp1_en.pdf

and the previous 'annual' report:

  http://www.unctad.org/en/docs/e2009d92_en.pdf

And I'll quote from this year's CSTD papers:

  "Enhanced cooperation

        143. In its resolution 2010/2 of 19 July 2010, and in
        consideration of paragraphs 68 to 71 of the Tunis Agenda for the
        Information Society, ECOSOC invited the Secretary-General to
        convene open and inclusive consultations involving all Member
        States and all other stakeholders with a view to assisting the
        process towards enhanced cooperation, in order to enable
        governments on an equal footing to carry out their roles and
        responsibilities in respect of international public policy
        issues pertaining to the Internet but not in respect of the
        day-to-day technical and operational matters that do not impact
        upon those issues. The request emphasized the importance of a
        balanced representation of all stakeholders, in their respective
        roles and responsibilities, as set out in paragraph 35 of the
        Tunis Agenda.

        144. DESA held open consultations on the process towards
        enhanced cooperation on international public policy issues
        pertaining to the Internet with member States and all other
        stakeholders, as requested by the Council and the General
        Assembly, from September to December 2010. Stakeholders were
        invited to participate in two ways: online and/or by attending a
        face-to-face meeting in New York in December 2010. The outcome
        of these consultations will be contained in a report of the
        Secretary-General for consideration by the General Assembly at
        its sixty-sixth session, through ECOSOC.

http://www.unctad.org/en/docs/a66d64_en.pdf

I haven't heard much discussion of the outcomes of that December meeting
- it's been a bit overshadowed by the IGF Improvement WG. (See para 149
of the same document above).
--
Roland Perry
     governance at lists.cpsr.org