[governance] 10 internet Rights and Principles

Dixie Hawtin Dixie at global-partners.co.uk
Fri Apr 8 05:22:25 EDT 2011

Following on from Lee and Ginger's messages I wanted to share the 10 internet Rights and Principles with you.

The Internet Rights and Principles Dynamic Coalition are working to develop a comprehensive Charter of Human Rights and Principles for the Internet - a document interpreting and explaining how existing human rights apply to the Internet, including those internet policy principles which are essential in order to fulfil human rights in the digital age. We are currently consulting on the Charter, feedback will go into creating a Version 2.0 to launch at the IGF in Kenya.

The "10 Internet Rights and Principles" is a distillation of the wide-ranging Charter down to the ten core demands we make in order to defend and expand the Internet as a space which is empowering, open and accessible to all. The 10 Internet Rights and Principles were launched at the second expert meeting on "Freedom of Expression and the Internet" in Stockholm, convened on 30-31 March 2011 by the Swedish Ministry for Foreign Affairs. The UN Special Rapporteur for Freedom of Opinion and Expression and the OSCE Representative on Freedom of the Media, who attended this launching event, welcomed this initiative.

A flyer of the 10 Internet Rights and Principles: http://internetrightsandprinciples.org/userfiles/file/10%20Internet%20Rights%20and%20Principles%20Flyer%20Final.pdf

The IRP Coalition website (including many translations of the 10 Internet Rights and Principles): http://internetrightsandprinciples.org/

All the best,
Dixie