[governance] Proposed workshop text on CSTD and/or Indian proposal

McTim dogwallah at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 15:55:19 EDT 2011

On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 9:05 AM, Jeremy Malcolm <jeremy at ciroap.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-04-07 at 08:57 +0300, McTim wrote:
>> hi,
>>
>> Might it be possible to do a workshop on an actual Internet Governance
>> issue instead of navel-gazing?
>>
>> We couldn't even get our act together to make a statement to the NTIA,
>> are we really only about talking about meta-IG, and not real IG?
>
> Why not both?  Please suggest a topic for what you call "real IG", and
> if there is broad agreement, the IGC can sponsor that too.

I've had some specific ideas, but every time I sit down to write them
up in the last 12 hours, I've lost power, so that got me thinking
about PWs suggestion from a while back that power is a critical
Internet resource, which I think is much more sweeping and crucial
idea than any others I've had (that are likely to be supported by this
group).

Question 1: Title of proposed workshop:

Stable Electrical Power as a Critical Internet Resource

Question 2: Please provide a concise description of the proposed workshop:

This workshop will explore the issues surrounding the most basic of
Critical Internet Resources, that of having stable electrical power.
Questions to be explored could include:

o How can the Internet lead chance on social, economic and political dimensions?
o What is the role of each stakeholder in managing Internet resources
o How can access and innovation be promoted?
o What are the problems being faced by countries where Internet usage is not
growing?
o What are the problems being faced by countries where Internet
penetration is not growing?
o What are the main obstacles to access to knowledge online today?
o Access to infrastructure: what are the technical, commercial and
policy obstacles at the national and international levels?
o What is the role that states can play in ensuring access?

Question 3: Which of the five broad IGF Themes or the Cross-Cutting
Priorities does your workshop fall under?

• The Development Agenda / Internet governance for development  (IG4D)
• Managing critical Internet resources
• Access and diversity

What could be very interesting is the notion that if we are to accept
Internet access as a Human Right, then doesn't that imply that access
to stable electricity supply is part and parcel of that right?  In
other words, if ppl demand Internet access, are they not also
demanding a stable power supply as a Human Right?

--
Cheers,

McTim
     governance at lists.cpsr.org